Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Workin' on It Wednesday: Nouns

Since exploring the blogging world, I have come across an exciting resource from KinderGals and Amy Lemons called Workin' on It Wednesday. Educators are using their summer break to spend some time working on personal and educational resources and sharing them with the blogging world. So in my attempt to join in this blogging journey, I've decided to join in!

This is what I'm currently working on as the hubs is studying at the kitchen table. The first part of speech we cover in 2nd grade are nouns. Nouns become the basis of everything we do for the rest of the year in Language Arts. Nouns seem like an easy thing to tackle, but I underestimated how much practice we actually needed at the beginning of the school year (Gotta love being a first year teacher!). I instantly knew this was first resource I wanted to make this summer--an in-depth practice pack of every kind of noun a 2nd grader needs to know.

In my activity pack are noun cards and mats. The students sort the cards into people, places, and things using the mats and then recording their answers on a recording sheet. I do this as a center with my phonics skill for the week, and my students love it!
(Mat for nouns that name things)

(Choose a person, place, or thing from the Word Bank to complete the sentences)

Learning plural nouns is CRAZY because of the 308302 different rules that apply! So I made a different practice page for each crazy rule that we cover in 2nd grade.
(Add -s or -es rule)
I'm still working on adding collective nouns, proper nouns, and a little bit of possessive nouns to the mix. Let me know if you have any suggestions or comments about what I'm working on. 

I'm adding some of these pages as freebies on my TPT store. While you're at it, check out my Summer Scramble. My mom made words for me to unscramble on road trips to the beach which I always loved, so here's my Summer Scramble freebie! Check out other products on my TPT store HERE!

I'm also working on staining my kitchen table that we inherited from Shawn's MawMaw. It's in great condition, but we want it to match the rest of our furniture which is a dark brown color. I would gladly welcome any tips/advice on this project since I am definitely not a crafty person!

Head on over to KinderGals to see what other teachers are workin' on this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment