Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Battling "Bored"- Early Finishers

"Mrs. Cecil, I'm dooooooooone"
"Mrs. Cecil, what do I do next?"
"Mrs. Cecil, can I do________?"

Yes, I hear my name about 18730712 times a day. I think I hear little voices say it in my sleep. :) One way I handle my early finishers is by a great idea that I got from Pinterest!
May Do, Must Do board:

Must Do:
Anything in the "Must Do" column is something that must be done! It's usually used in the morning for our reading block. After whole group, the kids follow the order of things listed in the "Must Do" column and finish those first. Usually there are page numbers listed for workbook pages (only 1 or 2 a day) or an activity sheet for individual practice. Once they finish, they go to their reading center which is the last thing on "Must Do". We have a center chart that I forgot to take a picture of :) Which brings me to...........

May Do:
6 weeks later, we are still practicing this one.
First, they have to make sure their morning work page is finished before they do any other may do. That's why it is first. Then, they check their work folder in their desk to see if there is anything else they haven't turned in yet. 
Morning Work folder: All morning work is kept in a folder in their desk. They know to do one page a day. You can find the morning work here.

Then, the fun comes! 
Reading chairs: 2 students a day are chosen for reading chairs and reading buddies. 

Math tools: students can grab a clock or coins to practice their skills!

Math Games: we have learned several math games that can be played alone. This game is called Make 10, where you have to find 2 cards that make a combination of 10. 

Free reading! 

We have also made our own addition facts pocket book to hold the addition facts we are working on. So far, we have +1, +2, combinations of 10, and we added doubles today. They can whip these out of their work folder to quiz themselves.

There is always plenty to do so nobody is able to give me "I'm bored" "I'm finished" "I don't have anything else to do". 

Um, have you check the May Do board? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment